Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The Strategic Framework outlines the vision, goals, strategies, objectives, and guiding principle of Brookville Center for Children’s Services (BCCS) commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion both within the organization and in our intersections and interactions with our students, staff, employees, and people and organizations outside of BCCS. It also provides a clear structure for focusing our actions and ensuring they are meaningful, targeted, and lead to sustained, deep, and powerful change. Altogether, it charts a course for building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization at BCCS.
The framework is grounded in BCCS’ mission and core values. Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) strategy work reaffirms that our mission and core values are foundational to who we are and continues to represent who we want to be as an organization, even as we put greater emphasis on our work in DEI.
The framework itself is defined by the following key components illustrated in the pages that follow. Together, these components provide the necessary strategic foundation for the DEI Action Plan’s specific actions and next steps:
- Vision for Transformative Impact: This is our shared understanding of how this work integrates with our organization’s core values and mission to create long-lasting change.
- Guiding Principles: These key ideas guide how we will accomplish our work together and codify the spirit of DEI related work at BCCS.
- Overarching DEI Goal To become a premier, culturally competent, educational institution and residential services provider of choice for partners, students, job candidates, and staff who value diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Areas of Focus: To guide our actions, these thematic areas of emphasis were developed based on organization surveys and an organizational assessment.
- Strategies and Objectives: These specific directional strategies, aligned with our focus areas, provide a roadmap for targeted actions, and intended outcomes staged over time.
AT BCCS we believe that:
Recognizing all dimensions of human differences. In the broadest sense, diversity refers to the inclusion of all historically marginalized people regardless of racial and ethnic background, disability, gender and gender identity, sexuality, nationality, religious beliefs, age, and socioeconomic status among others.
Guaranteeing identical distribution of resources regardless of the above-mentioned differences. Equality focuses on perceived fairness and is different from equity.
Recognizes that all people do not start from the same place and focuses on adjusting imbalances, giving each person what they need to succeed. Imbalances focus on access, opportunity, and support.
The practice of creating spaces, in and outside an organization, that celebrate and recognize the value of diversity. Of great importance is including people who have historically been excluded at all levels of the organization (representation) and ensuring that everyone can achieve their full potential regardless of difference.
Overarching DEI Goal
Areas of Focus
To become a premier, culturally competent, educational institution and residential provider of choice for partners, students, job candidates, and staff who value diversity, equity and inclusion.
Areas of Focus:
To enact measurable change over time, our work in DEI will focus on growing the areas of strength and improving in the areas of deficit identified in our needs assessment and the DEI strategic process.